This post is part of the MDS 2023 Countdown series. Disclaimer. Current as of February 7, 2023
What You Can Expect to See
Section A, Identification Information for Race/Ethnicity has expanded.
One of the major changes is the deletion of section A1000 Race/Ethnicity. Section A1000 is set to expand and be replaced with Section A1005 Ethnicity and A1010 Race. When you look at Section A1000 Race/Ethnicity, you find a checklist with items A through F.
These Items are part of the common uniform language approved by the Office of Management and Business Standards (OMB) to report race and ethnicity.
With the upcoming changes, Race and Ethnicity have been separated into two separate categories. On the current MDS, you are only able to indicate one race or ethnicity.
On the upcoming MDS 3.0, the expanded lists allow for indication of multiple racial or ethnic categories.
What Do the Changes Mean?
Advancing health equity is a priority for CMS. The expansion of race and ethnicity categories is just one strategy CMS is utilizing to advance health equity. This strategy builds on the Biden-Harris Administration’s commitment to advancing racial and ethnic equity for underserved communities.
These new items have been added to determine more specifically a resident’s race and ethnicity and meet new QRP (Quality Reporting Program) and SPADEs (Specialized Patient Assessment Data Elements) for social determinants of health.
Recommendations from MDS Consultants
The MDS Coordinator will need to work in collaboration with facility leadership and the IDT to establish a process of review and monitor these changes.
- Start reviewing the item set drafts
- Address any updates needed to process for collecting race and ethnicity information accurately
- Plan for the upcoming changes, as indicated
- Train staff on upcoming changes to MDS item sets and any organization process updates
- Be in the know with the release of the final drafts
Do not wait! The time to prepare is now.
- MDS 3.0 Item Set (cms.gov)
- MDS 3.0 Section A, Identification Information https://www.allreadable.com/94081k2Z