Earlier this summer, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released the ICD-10-CM code descriptions, tables and index, and addendum for the fiscal year 2022.
Then on July 12th, the Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting of ICD-10-CM became available online. The updated manual and guidelines for FY 2022 revealed 159 new codes, along with the Tabular and Index Addenda. Below is a summary of the changes that will most affect the Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNF) in the upcoming year:
- D55.21 Anemia due to pyruvate kinase deficiency
- D55.29 Anemia due to other disorders of glycolytic enzymes
- D75.838 Other thrombocytosis
- D75.839 Thrombocytosis
- D89.44 Hereditary alpha tryptasemia
- F32.A Depression, unspecified under revised category F32 Depressive episode
- F78.A9 Other genetic related intellectual disabilities under a new subcategory
- F78.A- Other genetic-related intellectual disabilities.
- I5A Non-ischemic myocardial injury (non-traumatic)
- I20-I25 Ischemic, now requires an appropriate HTN code
- Under L24.A- Irritant contact dermatitis due to friction or contact with body fluids, adds four new codes to identify the fluid type
- Under L24.B- Irritant contact dermatitis related to stoma or fistula adds four new codes to enable specification of the type of stoma or fistula. For example, digestive, respiratory, fecal/urinary
- New subcategory M45.A Non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis and ten codes for non-radiographic axial spondyloarthritis
- M54.50 Low back pain, unspecified
- M54.51 Vertebrogenic low back pain
- M54.59 Other low back pain.
- R05 is not a reportable code in the 2022 code set. Instead, there are six new codes for cough with greater specificity
- The addition of two codes to differentiate between nocturnal polyuria and polyuria is not otherwise specified (NOS)
- R45.88 Non-suicidal self-harm
- R79.83 Abnormal findings of blood amino-acid level
- R63.30 Feeding difficulties, unspecified
- R63.39 Other feeding difficulties (feeding problem (elderly) (infant) NOS, picky eater)
In addition to the above ICD-10 codes, changes and clarifications are also made to the coding conventions. Here is a quick summary of the changes that will affect Skilled Nursing Facilities. For detail on these changes, please refer to the Official Guidelines for Coding.
- Additional instructions are added for situations when the patient’s provider does not document laterality. Code assignment for the affected side can be based on medical record documentation from other clinicians.
- Documentation by Clinicians Other than the Patient’s Provider has expanded the exceptions. These exceptions now include codes for non-pressure chronic ulcers, social determinants of health (SDOH), laterality, and blood alcohol level.
- New “post-COVID-19” guidance, including the assignment of code U09.9, Post COVID-19 condition, unspecified.