COVID-19 (coronavirus) Tools
In this difficult time, MDS Consultants is here for you with reimbursement guidance and can help with MDS completions when needed.
Our team keeps an up-to-date list of links and resources at MDS Expert
COVID-19 (coronavirus) Updates
Novel Coronavirus 2019, or COVID-19, is causing a crisis in our healthcare system. Do not let COVID-19 create a reimbursement crisis for you and your team. We all recognize there is a lot of conflicting information on the internet and social media, and reimbursement and MDS are no different.
MDS Consultants has vetted the following source documents and links to help you maintain clarity in the confusion.
- CMS published COVID-19 Emergency Declaration Health Care Providers Fact Sheet on March 13. During a national emergency, CMS was empowered to take proactive steps through 1135 waivers that include waiving a 3-day hospital stay and spell of illness requirement for Medicare part A. The 1135 waiver for the hospital stay is only for beneficiaries who experience dislocations or are otherwise affected by the emergency. While the waiver for “spell of illness” only applies for beneficiaries who have been delayed or prevented by the emergency itself from commencing or completing the process of ending their current benefit period and renewing their SNF benefits that would have occurred under normal circumstances. In other words, the waivers would apply to those beneficiaries that have been affected directly or indirectly by the current state of emergency.
- CMS QIES Technical Support Office released a statement regarding Minimum Data Set 3.0 v1.18.1 set to be implemented on October 1st will be delayed. The delay includes the removal of section G. This is a relief for case-mix states.
- CDC released the Official Coding Guidance for Coronavirus on February 20. This document provides official diagnosis coding (ICD-10) guidance for health care. Guidance in this document will be valid until March 31st. The new ICD-10-CM code for the COVID-19 will be U07.01 effective April 1st. (Stay tuned for more information)
- CMS published the Guidance for Infection Control and Prevention of Coronavirus Disease in Nursing Homes on March 13. This document guides nursing facilities, including restriction of visitors, to stop communal dining and group activities, and offers guidance for transfers of residents with COVID-19.
- CMS developed the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Partner Toolkit website and updates it regularly to help you stay informed on CMS and HHS materials available on the virus.
We recommend providers also turn to CMS, CDC, and their state for further guidance. If you and your team would like assistance or have questions, please reach out to our experts at MDS Consultants at (954) MDS-3-ADL or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org