Antibiotic Stewardship, Infections and the MDS: Does there need to be a connection between the Nurse Assessment Coordinator, Infection Preventionist, DNS, and Medical Director?
January 17, 2023
10:00 am EST - 11:30 am EST
Venue: Live Zoom Webinar
Event Phone: (954) MDS-3-ADL
What You’ll Learn
Since the revision of the Requirements for Participation in 2017, antibiotic stewardship has become a major focus. The need for the Infection Preventionist (IP) working with the physicians and IDT to understand when antibiotics are indicated, what infections are not recognized quickly in LTC as well as understanding multi-resistant organisms and medications. Antibiotic Stewardship and the facility’s Infection Control Program needs to be led by a partnership between the IP, Nurse Assessment Coordinator (NAC), Director of Nursing and the Medical Director. These professionals are key to ensuring the stewardship program is in place and monitored for compliance. The leadership team needs to ensure MDS documentation is capturing infections and treatment accurately, and the program is evaluated through the facility’s QAPI program.
This webinar will demonstrate the link between the Infection control program, antibiotic stewardship and the key responsibilities of the clinical leadership team in relation to infection control and improved care for the residents.
After attending this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Describe the ROP in relation to the Antibiotic Stewardship Program
- Identify 2 -3 key elements documented in the MDS that supports the infection control program
- Understand the responsibilities of clinical leadership in managing the Antibiotic stewardship program
- Recognize how the MDS and QAPI work jointly to monitor the facility’s Infection Control Program
Our Master Teachers – Linda J. Winston and Barbara Bates
Linda is our QAPI Certified Master Teacher and has been a nurse with over 30 years, with almost 15 years as a Director of Nursing. Linda has filled many roles in the long-term care setting, including staff nurse, supervising nurse, nurse educator and administration.
Barbara’s is our QAPI Certified Master Teacher. Her 35 year nursing career included 10 years as a Director of Nursing in an upstate NY veterans home and a specialty in psychiatric nursing for psychogeriatrics, as well as extensive experience in nursing administration and facility management.
Who Is This For?
- Directors of Nursing
- Nurse Assessment Coordinators
- QAPI Coordinator
- Members of the Interdisciplinary Team involved in Infection Prevention and Control Program
- Schedule: 10:00 am to 11:30 pm eastern time
- Access instructions and course materials are emailed