Psychotropics: The Struggle is Real
- June 29, 2022
11:00 am EDT - 12:30 pm EDT
Venue: Live Zoom Webinar
Event Phone: (954) MDS-3-ADL
What You’ll Learn
Almost half of skilled nursing facility residents are diagnosed with some form of dementia, with as many as 80% of these residents presenting with challenging behaviors. Regulations and quality measures are in place to discourage unnecessary medication use, but with minimal staff training and concerns for safety, medications are often used as an intervention for these behaviors. This training will give you the skills that you need to be compliant with regulations, reduce risk for penalties, improve quality measures, and improve resident care.
Attendees of this seminar will learn how to:
1) Describe LTC regulations for psychotropic use
2) Discuss Quality Measures affected by psychotropics
3) Recognize adverse effects/risks associated with psychotropic medication use
4) Apply ways to decrease psychotropic med use and incorporate nonpharmacological approaches
5) Identify appropriate online tools and how to access them
Our Presenter – Faith Carini-Graves, RN, BSN, RAC-CT
Faith has worked in skilled nursing facilities since she first became a nurse in 2012. She quickly became an expert in both RAI guidelines and the everyday functioning of nursing facilities. With MDS Consultants, Faith conducts audits, improves quality measures, trains current and new staff, manages MDS systems, and contiues to complete minimum data sets. Faith is licensed as a RN in New York and South Dakota. On her time off, Faith enjoys a fast-paced life with her three kids – including twin toddlers. She also enjoys spending time outside, yoga, reading, and painting.
Who Is This For?
- Social Services
- Directors of Nursing
- MDS Coordinators and
- Anyone wanting to learn more about psychotropic reduction
- Schedule: 11:00 am to 12:30 pm eastern time
- Access instructions and course materials are emailed